Sunday, October 28, 2012

the creeper....

after about 10 years of hearing great things about the Virginia Creeper trail, I was finally able to experience it yesterday.  My Dad, Jesse, E and I headed up with our bikes and spent some much needed time outdoors.  Although a lot of the leaves had already fallen in the area, it was still nice to see them all covering the path as we rode along and it was nice that it wasn't crowded.  We rode only a portion of the trail stretching between Abingdon and Damascus which was about 15 1/2 miles.  I hadn't ridden my bike in a long time and boy could I tell.  The ride was a pretty easy one and I was still sore and panting by the time we reached our destination.
Our plan was to have lunch and ride the same portion of the trail back to our car.  But, shortly after we started back, my Dad ended up with a flat tire so Jesse rode back solo and picked us up.  I'm thinking maybe that flat was the Lord's way of saving me and E from the trip back.  After hearing about it from Jesse, I know I would have really struggled and E was already getting restless in his little trailer.  Despite my achy body, I can say that it's definitely a trip we'll take again.  If you haven't visited and you're looking for a good day-trip option from our area, it's a great pick!
        

No comments:

Post a Comment